11/22/11

Something About a Magic Mirror

Tell Me, Magic Mirror!(Sorry, I couldn't find the artist)
I came across the idea of data visualisation about personal preference when I saw this picture last year.  I hope someday this project can really tell girls the ways to get beautiful be analysis the data of themselves. Anyway, what I want to talk about here is the relation among women, dress and mirror.

In the story of Snow White, the queens always wanted to get information about 'the fairest' from her magic mirror. In fact, she just wanted get admiration from it. As Woodward says in her book, the importance of a mirror is that 'Looking in the mirror is therefore a marriage of the intimate and the generic, as women consider their own dressed bodies in light of wider social ideals and expectations.' According to her theory, when a women find the girl in the mirror is exactly the one fits her imagination of herself and what she want the society to see as 'her', she will find this fits. That's why occasion,  body shape finess and preference colors are important factors when choosing the prefect dress.

That's why sometimes it's funny that we such a different 'me' in the mirror.
Can you spot your REAL shape? from dailymail.co.uk
In our last meeting, Dr. O'neill sent me an interesting website name Can you spot your real shape? This article describe an experiment that when looking at the same body shape, women see different shapes according to their expectation of themselves. So as for my project, I thing it's important that the user should tell the website some data of themselves before the advice about what 'fits' the user.

Another interesting question is that what will people usually do in front of a mirror? Here's something I read and find in life:
1. Really look at myself;
2. Try the clothes on, look carefully, turn around;
3. Take off the clothes, change to another one;
4. 2<-->3;
5. Smile when it looks good, or even dance with it;
6. Angry or disappointed when it doesn't fit, or even kick the mirror;
7. Talk to myself.


Reference:
Sophie Woodward(2007) Why Women Wear What They Wear. Oxford, Oxford International Publishers Ltd.

No comments:

Post a Comment